My Sky Color

A forty something Dad, Husband, Engineer guy living in Western Oregon. Reflections on all things in life. A few technical things and whatever else comes along.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Chain Up Tips
I am no expert but I know some obvious tips:

- Front wheel drive, 2 wheel drive car - Chains go on the front. The weight of the engine is in the front so the most traction is in the front. Point the wheels the direction you want to go and goose the throttle lightly.

- Rear wheel drive, 2 wheel drive vehicle - Chains go on the rear. Hope for the best. I had a 2wd Toyota PU that traveled thousands of miles on snow.

- Four wheel drive anything - Chains go on the front. The weight of the engine is in the front so the most traction is in the front. Point the wheels the direction you want to go and goose the throttle.

- Generally speaking chains are most useful on ice. Snow and cold temperatures have nice traction.

- Only deep snow requires chains on your 4x4.

Take your time, don't be in a hurry and don't do anything sudden. Wheel spin is generally bad. Wheel spin is only useful in deep snow. Watch the people around you they are probably the biggest danger. DMP

If you are running a dually pickup without a load, take off the outside duals to have better weight on the rear tires for traction.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Carly said...

Great tips, although my jeep grand cherokee says to chain up the back, even though it is four wheel drive. Probably because the rear-end is stronger.

BTW, sitting in Ontario with the highway closed at North Powder.

Michael

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I never have to chain up, but I suppose I should learn how. Maybe I'll have to print out your blog and file it away in the glove box so I will have some idea what to do. Actually we don't have any chains for the Pruis. Called the dealer and they were sold out and acted like they were not ordering any more his season. I said "winter is just starting"! Everyone around here including the Oregonian, city of Portland, Tri-met, etc. acts like winter is over and spring is here. (It does feel that way today.)

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I'm ready for the next blog! Enjoyed the visit after Christmas. I suggested to Eric today that you come one Saturday, trim the offending tree, load up your stuff on the truck, and he could bring it up to you on the following Monday. What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home