My Sky Color

A forty something Dad, Husband, Engineer guy living in Western Oregon. Reflections on all things in life. A few technical things and whatever else comes along.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Helping Hand

I like to help people. I figure that I need to share my talents. They are a blessing. I have boundaries to my charity. I won't help the worthless.

I remove trees. I climb them and bring them down in pieces. Due to the legal climate in this country I do most tree work gratis. I was once asked to take down some cedar trees as part of a church related service project. The people didn't even come out of their house while we were there doing the work! This has happened twice. If the tree owner is willing to help out and clean up the mess then I am more than happy to help out.

One thing I have noticed is people have a tendency to keep score. Meaning if I help them then they feel obligated to do something for me. I don't operate that way. If I help you, I seek no pay-back, unless it was a pay job in the first place.

Matthew chapter 6 gives some insight and guidance on this subject. Check it out. It makes one think.

As I have gotten older the the list of people that I have to buy gifts for has actually gotten shorter. My family set down the rule a few years back that we would have a rotating assignment of a sibling to buy for. Sometimes I will be shopping and will see something that is a perfect match for a family member. I buy it and give it. It drives me nuts when they think or assume that they need to reciprocate with a gift. The joy is in the giving.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Julie said...

I agree! We took treats to a few people this year, and then a couple of them came back with a token treat the next day. I wasn't asking for it, and frankly wasn't really thrilled with the whole "I had to" gift we got in return. On the other hand, the people who stay in their houses during the project - well let's just say it's their last project!
Because of Eric's health, we are now on the receiving end of help from our home teacher, HP group, etc. All 3 of us always go out and help. We need help - we're not helpless. :) Maybe that's the key. Love you.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous mom said...

Good thoughts on giving. I'd rather have people not give back in return, but really appreciated the help we received during my back surgery time in 2008. It's nice to be able to help someone out. I'm always thankful that we can give.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home