My Sky Color

A forty something Dad, Husband, Engineer guy living in Western Oregon. Reflections on all things in life. A few technical things and whatever else comes along.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Life Flash Before My Eyes"... Almost
A memorable thing happened on the way to work this morning. When I stopped at the intersection of Sandy Blvd and Blue Lake Rd there were a couple cars in front of me. I had the radio on but could hear a rushing sound. I turned off the radio. It sounded like soneone was venting an air compressor tank. A really big one! On one corner of the intersection there is a gravel lot. There were a couple semi trucks parked there which isn't unusual. I started looking at them to see if an air line had broke. As I turned right onto Blue Lake Rd, I remembered that there is a natural gas pipeline valve in the gravel lot with a little chain link fence around it. One of the trucks had hit that thing! I could see that his trailer had swung around at just the right height to knock the valve off. I started sniffing. Sure enough that whooshing sound was high pressure gas venting.

I dialed 911 right away and accelerated away from that delicate piece of atmosphere. I was on hold on 911... Several minutes later I hung up and put my phone away. So a couple minutes later my phone rings. It is 911 making sure I'm okay. I told them I was reporting the gas line break. They were already responding. About that time I started to hear sirens.

I get to work at 7 AM. Some of the guys that were minutes behind me had to detour several miles around that intersection.

I am hear to say that I am glad the truck driver didn't get out to see what he'd hit with a cig going. With all the internal combustion engines around there at that moment it is amazing it didn't light up. I just had a hair cut. DMP

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I was on your blog. Looks like things are busy at the farm. With the new building coming maybe you should do a "build" blog with pictures of you preparing the spot and then raising the building.

Are you planning on entering any sheep shearing contests?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home